I created this plaster model to inspire and investigate new landform typologies during a second semester studio project. It is the only plaster model I have made thus far, but it was very helpful and I will likely make more for future projects.
The construction of this model began with a study of organizational systems on 8″x8″ tiles using white cardstock and black construction paper. I selected one of these tiles and created a template, from which I cut up strips of poster board and fashioned them into three dimensional shapes (mainly platforms and inclines.) I then inserted these shapes into an 8″x8″x3″ frame built of more posterboard and sealed all the edges and volumes with masking tape. After that I applied copious amounts of Vaseline to all surfaces to ensure there would be no sticking once the plaster dried. Finally I poured in the plaster, let it set for a few hours, and then tore away the frame from the new model. Viola.
I ended up using this model to generate project drawings, including these chunks.